Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Blue Whales

And when I say blue whale, I literally mean BLUE, not the largest creature on Earth. Ever. Seriously. They are bigger than any dinosaur!
We used blue cellophane bags (found at most party or craft stores), wiggle eyes and white pipe cleaners.
We stuffed the bags with white paper and closed them with the twisters. You can trim the end of the bag to get a more tail-like appearance, but we left ours as is. We added big wiggle eyes with glue dots to the front (which is actually the bottom of the bag) right above the seam. See, we pretended the seam was the whale's mouth! Then I cut up white pipe cleaners and gave each child three. They bent the ends down to resemble water coming from a blowhole.

(We had gone swimming earlier in the day and hadn't changed yet. That's why all the boys are shirtless!) Then I took the three pipe cleaners and twisted the ends together.
Then it hit me that I could have done that first. It might have been easier for the kids to bend them this way. Anyway, then I poked a hole in the top of the bag and inserted the pipe cleaners. A couple I had to tape to stay up, but most were fine on their own.
And how cute is that face? Don't you love it?


And it was so simple!

Fun Fact: Whales used to be land animals. They still have finger bones in their flippers! You can read all about how they evolved into sea animals in the amazing book How Whales Walked into the Sea, by Faith McNulty.

**Linking up to the parties on my sidebar!**

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Cute whales. I always share your fun facts with the kids. So many I never knew before!

Carrie said...

So cute!! I love them!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

Ashlie said...

I love this idea! I want to do it for my preschool craft this week!