Thursday, May 17, 2012

Glittery Peacocks

This is just a short post to show you our peacocks. We made them almost the exact same way we did last year, so if you want more information, go here.
We did, however, do a couple things differently. Instead of having the kids color the coffee filter with markers, they used droppers and colored water.
I used the colors from my neon pack of food coloring. The kids squirted the water over the filter.
We let them dry overnight. We made the body of the peacock the same (my typical bowling pin-shaped body, neon wiggle eyes, cocktail toothpicks for the crest, a beak and feet). But for some reason I decided to make black beaks. I was getting sick of my orange beaks and peacock beaks are grayish anyway. I didn't have gray, so I went with black. I also made brown feet. The kids made the eyespots the same as last year, by dipping their thumb in paint and making prints on the coffee filter. And finally the body was glued to the filter. Now here's where we changed things up again. Instead of making the smaller dot in the eyespot with paint, we used glue. The kids dipped their finger in glue,
then they pressed it inside the painted spots.
We started with pinkies, but ended up just using the index finger because it was easier. After all the glue spots were on, the kids chose a color of glitter and sprinkled it over the glue.
(I should say I sprinkled the glitter. I knew we only needed a little bit, and I also know kids like to dump glitter. So I did this part to avoid a huge mess.) Finally, we shook off the extra glitter and we had a beautiful peacock!
They turned out so lovely. I can't wait to hang them up!

UPDATE: Here they are hanging in the hall, with the words, "Friends of a feather flock together."

Fun Fact: A peacock's train can be several feet long, but is shed every year.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

They turned out great Betsy! I LOVE the glitter spots! It is rather funny how orange is the universal color for beaks even though that is so unrealistic. I really like how you used the black instead.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say I love your blog!! I'm a teacher at a daycare and my kids love to make art projects. Thank you for posting all of these!! :)
-Stephany