Saturday, December 3, 2011

YAH: Candy Cane Wreath

Even though it's been raining here, I'm trying really hard to get in the Christmas spirit. So I'm here to share with you a candy cane wreath. I had seen several candy wreaths online that I liked (here and here), but my inspiration was from here. I used a foam wreath from Michaels, some Christmas ribbon, a whole bunch of mini candy canes and some Christmas ball thingys (I don't really know what they were). I wrapped the ribbon around the wreath so I wouldn't have to worry if it showed through gaps in the candy canes. Then I began hot gluing the candy canes all over, in every direction.
I kept going with the candy canes until I was happy with the coverage. I had originally bought two boxes of candy canes, but then the next day I sent my husband out to get two more boxes because I was worried I wouldn't have enough. But I ended up using less than one of those, so total I used about 2-and-a-half boxes.
I glued some candy canes to the sides of the wreath, but not too far down.
Then I made a bow with the same ribbon (with the help of my Bowdabra). I also started gluing on red and green ornament things.
They were in a clump so I had to cut them apart. I really have no idea what they are supposed to be for, but they worked perfectly for this. I used mostly red with only a few green. Then I glued on the bow.
I gave this to my mom, but because it's made of candy I don't think it can be stored and brought out again every Christmas. Anyone ever try storing a candy wreath before?

**Linking up to Centsational Girl!**

7 comments:

Melissa said...

That is absolutely amazing!!!

Carrie said...

It is beautiful!

Betsy said...

Thank you, Melissa and Carrie!

Bowdabra Blog - Sarah Forhan said...

Absolutely, love this wreath! So creative and yummy looking. I will be sharing your link with our Bowdabra Blog Facebook Readers - I am sure they will love it! Sarah Forhan, Bowdabrablog.com Designer

Betsy said...

Wow, Sarah! Thank you for sharing my link! Glad you liked it. I love the Bowdabra!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Trying a clear arcylic spray to preserve it for next year. I created something similar with peperminst and used polyeurathane to seal it,2 years later it still looks good.

Betsy said...

Thank you! I considered doing that, but worried that it would make the candy canes sticky. I'll give it a shot!