Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Apple Prints

So this didn't really turn out as I hoped. I've seen beautiful apple prints on other blogs, but it never seems to work for me. I had 3 apples and cut them up 3 different ways. One was the long way (with some wedges removed to make handles), one was horizontal across the middle (so you see a star), and the last one was horizontal with some chunks taken out so it looked like a flower or pinwheel. I put the apple halves in paint.
I decided to try this myself before the kids got to the table.
Not bad, but not like what I've seen online. Then I tried the flower-shaped apples.
Way cool! (Got that idea from here.) You still can't really see the star in the middle, but I like it! I'm going to have to remember this next spring.
The kids still had a blast doing it, and that's all that matters.
I was the only one disappointed with the results.
Maybe I'm not cutting the apples straight or using too much paint or not enough. I don't know. What I do know is that from now on I'm cutting designs in the apples. Those prints turn out much better. Anyone else have problems with this one?

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Yours came out better than ours did earlier this week. I posted a few of ours: http://craftymomsshare.blogspot.com/2011/09/more-autumn-decorations-and-apples.html. I think I didn't cut straight enough. I was going to try more, but haven't gotten back to it.

Betsy said...

I know, it's hard, right? I tried commenting on your site a couple of times, but it wasn't working. I'm sure the problem is at my end. I'll keep trying!

Weeksie50 said...

Let the apples dry overnight before you use them in the paint! Dried out apples work much better with the paint! The apples are ugly brown but the prints are much better :) I was dissappointed in mine too until someone shared this tip with me.

Betsy said...

Thank you for this tip! I can't wait to try it again. I was afraid of letting the apples get too dry so I cut them right before we did the art project. Thanks!