Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sleepy Sloths

For our Rainforest theme last year, we learned about sloths. I've done the rainforest theme several times, but this was the first time we closely studied sloths. So interesting! I got the idea for this craft from somewhere, but the link I have no longer works. I did change a few things, though. I don't have step-by-step pictures, but it's pretty easy. I traced the kids feet (with shoes on) on brown paper. This would be the sloth body. Then I made arms/legs (long ovals cut from brown paper) and claws and little oval-like shapes for the face. We had also painted jumbo craft sticks with brown paint the day before we made the craft. Ready for a picture of what they look like when it's all put together? So cute...
I hung them from the ceiling. The craft stick is a branch, obviously. The face can go on either the heel or toe part of the foot. And they are adorable. Check out some of these faces!

They make me smile!

Fun Fact: Sloths are very, very slow animals. They even sneeze in slow motion! (My kids had fun acting that out!)

4 comments:

Melissa said...

They are ridiculously CUTE! Love them!

Angelique Buman said...

Thanks for posting! We did this activity with my 3-6 Summer Camp today after reading the book, and the kida had so much fun. Everyone thought they were so cute! Some kids took different colored pencils and drew fur on the sloths, which made them even more adorable!

Angelique Buman said...

Oops, in my last comment, I said we did this project after reading the book, but didn't say what book! I meant the book by Eric Carle, "Slowly, Slowly, Slowly,: Said the Sloth. This activity tied in really well with that book!

Betsy said...

Thanks, Angelique! I'm glad you were inspired!